CRAFT IN AMERICA: FAMILY

Last night's Craft in America series focused on "Family".  I watched this episode, surrounded by objects from my own family of makers.  Both my home + studio is surrounded by the work of my Grandfather, who built and designed everything from the chair I sit in to the work table I create LADYFITS upon.  I'm fortunate to live + work in a space that witnessed my family's generation of creatives.  Great energy fills these spaces almost like creative ghosts of past projects.  I may not understand fully the craft behind woodworking, but I admire the objects that surround me.  I can't ask my Grandfather questions about his woodworking process.  Instead, I work around connecting his sketches, lists, placeholders in books, and stories from people.  It's a separate journey I take as I work to understand a portion of my Family craft, living among the space of its history.

This episode allowed the viewer to follow various families of makers.  It also gave a time for the viewer to reflect on their own generational craft and how it communicates to them.  For me, this episode provided a reflection time with my craft family; their roots, heritage and the community that encompassed it.

LADYFITS always communicates back to my heritage in some way:  Czech + Cedar Rapidian + Iowan + Maker + Collector + Historian.....


GRANDPA'S PEDESTAL 
GRANDFATHER'S WORK, LOVER OF NATURE


GRANDFATHER'S WORK: SOME OF MY FAVORITE CHAIRS 


LADYFITS IN STUDIO 




No comments:

Post a Comment